Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thing No 16: Wikis

Thing 16: Wikis

I’m glad that I was in a ‘holding pattern’ for this one. The recent expose on military reports from Afghanistan by WikiLeaks has caused me to extensively consider the potential harm that can come in this type of forum.

The founder, Julian Assange was quoted Monday, speaking to reporters at London's Frontline Club, “It is our experience that courage is contagious.”

My view is that we should not confuse courage with irresponsibility, and in this case, perhaps in global proportions. How will this ‘shake out?” That remains to be seen. I’ve heard it said that these public forums are ‘self cleaning,’ which in my understanding means to bring about an equalizing dialog. However, what damage is done in the interim? I’ll watch this particular development with great interest, and yes, with a degree of trepidation.

No comments:

Post a Comment